Like most outdoor cat owners you have wanted a cat door to keep the unwanted neighborhood cats and other pesky critters out but did not want your cat to wear a collar.
Now there is an electronic cat door that allows only your cat to come and go with no collar and wont let anything else in your house.
The SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap was developed by Cambridge physicist, Dr Nick Hill. His cat Flipper was being tormented by neighbouring cats that entered his home through Flipper’s standard cat flap.
At first Nick tried replacing the cat flap with a magnetic cat flap, but Flipper hated wearing the collar and tag required to operate the flap. Eventually Flipper managed to break free from his collar and he was locked out of his own home.
At the time, all other selective entry cat flaps on the market required cats to wear collars to operate them. Nick decided to develop a cat flap that would read a cat’s existing microchip so that Flipper need never where a collar again.
Three years of intensive research followed and the SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap was launched in early 2008. Since then, many cat owners have discovered the benefits of SureFlap:
- Works with a cat’s existing microchip
- Compatible with all common microchip types
- Suitable for multi-cat households as it can store up to 32 cats in its memory
- Cats become more relaxed, safe from invading neighbouring cats
- Owners save money on cat food as they are no longer feeding the neighbour’s cat
- Simple one button programming configures a cat’s microchip in seconds
- Flexible installation options – can be installed in doors, windows and walls
- Designed as a drop in replacement for many existing cat flaps
The pet industry has also recognised the benefits of SureFlap by rewarding this innovative product with three fantastic awards: The PPRA Pet Product of the Year 2011, PATS Retailers’ Choice Cat Product of the Year 2011 and first prize in the Pet Innovation category at the 2010 Glee New Products.